Business Meeting Notice: The next Commission Business Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, June 30 at 10:00 a.m. We invite you to watch the live broadcast on the KCC YouTube channel.



Public access to KCC offices is currently by appointment only to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. However, our staff remains available to help you. To reach us by phone, click on “Contact Us” in the menu bar above to find contact information for KCC Divisions. Commission Business meetings and hearings are accessible to the public on YouTube.

Hugoton & Panoma Data

Data updated 5/6/2022.

2011 Well Tests

(Annual Well Tests Are No Longer Required)


The KCC can create individualized templates for your company to assist in your electronic submissions. Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

More Information

  • Microsoft Word document with explanations of the data and process.
  • Questions: please call or email questions to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 785-271-3298.
  • Comments and corrections are welcome.
  • API Numbers - eventually, we would like to use API numbers as the well identifier. If you have a data mapping of API to KCC Unit ID, please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

KSONA – Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

  1. What is KSONA? The Kansas legislature passed the Kansas Surface Owner Notification Act in its 2009 session. KSONA requires certain form submissions to be provided to the surface owner of the tract of land upon which the well sits. KSONA requires the KCC to provide this notice if the operator does not provide the surface owner with notice.
  2. Does this apply to all operators? Yes, KSONA applies to all operators, without exception.
  3. What forms are affected? Four forms are affected by the KSONA requirements: 1) intents to drill (Form C-1); 2) intents to drill for cathodic protection wellbores (Form CB-1); 3) well transfer forms (Form T-1); and 4) well plugging applications (Form CP-1).
  4. How has the KCC changed its forms in response to KSONA? The above four forms must now be submitted concurrently with a Form KSONA-1. The Form KSONA-1 is fairly straightforward. It requires the operator to submit the surface owner's contact information. In addition, it requires the operator to state whether the operator has provided notice to the surface owner.
  5. Am I required to pay a fee? Operators are not required to pay a fee if they provide notice to the surface owner. If the operator indicates on the Form KSONA-1 that notice has not been provided, then the KCC must provide the notice. This creates an administrative burden for the KCC, and thus a $30 fee must be submitted if the KCC is to provide the surface owner with notice. Under no circumstances is this fee refundable. If the operator wishes to have the KCC provide notice, the operator must still include the surface owner's contact information before the associated form will be approved. In most, if not all, situations, it would be to the benefit of the operator to provide the notice.
  6. How should I pay the fee? The $30 fee is payable to the Kansas Corporation Commission and can be in the form of a money order, personal check, or bank draft, or if filing electronically, it can be paid by credit card or e-check. Cash payments will not be accepted.
  7. What are the specific requirements for compliance with KSONA? A copy of the applicable form, and the accompanying Form KSONA-1, must be provided to the surface owner. Most of the required information is fairly self-explanatory from the fields on the forms, including operator and surface owner information. On the paper form, a legend has been added to the plat map on the second page of the intent to drill (Form C-1) to show lease roads, tank batteries, pipelines, and electrical lines. For electronic filing through KOLAR it is necessary to scan and attach a separate plat map showing the required KSONA-1 items.
  8. How can I determine the identity and contact information for the surface owner? "Surface owner" is defined by KSONA as, in part, a person who is shown as the owner on the records of the county register of deeds, and who is assessed real estate property taxes in accordance with the records of the county treasurer. Tenants, or parties with an easement, right-of-way, license, mortgage lien, severed mineral interest, or any non-possessory interest in the surface, are not considered surface owners.
  9. Will there ever be more than one surface owner? In most cases, there will only be one surface owner for a well. It is possible that situations may arise with more than one surface owner, and if that occurs, all surface owners must be provided notice.
  10. If there is more than one surface owner, and the operator requests that the KCC mail the KSONA form, is the fee $30 total, or $30 per surface owner being notified? The $30 fee is assessed per surface owner being notified, and there is no maximum total fee.
  11. Is there a penalty for the failure to comply with KSONA? Because this is a new process, the issue of penalties for noncompliance remains preliminary. Operators may be liable for penalties for intentionally submitting false information to the KCC. If operators fail to provide information required by KSONA or any required fee, this will result in a denial of the forms until the required information is submitted. If the requirements are not met, the forms will be sent back to the operator for resubmission, which could result in a delay in operations.

Form T-1 (Transfer) Questions

  1. Who is responsible for completing and filing the Form KSONA-1 (Past Operator or New Operator)? The past operator is required to file the Form T-1 with the KCC and must also file the Form KSONA-1. If the past operator is no longer a viable KCC licensed operator, or is deceased, the new operator must file the notice with an accompanying lease assignment.
  2. Are both signatures required before mailing to surface owner? Yes, unless the past operator is no longer a viable KCC licensed operator, or is deceased, then the new operator must file the notice with an accompanying lease assignment.

Intent to Drill (Form C-1)

  1. What must be shown on the plat submitted with the KSONA-1 form? The plat map must show the well location and non-binding, preliminary estimates of the location of lease roads, tank batteries, pipelines, and electrical lines.
  2. What are "nonbinding preliminary estimates?" The KCC interprets this phrase to mean the locations are the operator's best estimate at the time of the filing. Operators are not required to conform to the estimates provided on the form. Operators must again provide notice to the surface owner if the operator makes a correction or change to the Form C-1 plat.
  3. Can I file only one KSONA-1 form if I am drilling more than one well on acreage owned by the same land owner? No. You must file a separate KSONA-1 form and plat for each intent to drill being filed.
  4. Do I need to file a KSONA-1 form and plat map with the KCC if I am drilling on my own land? Yes, and you should indicate yourself as the surface owner on the Form KSONA-1.
  5. Am I required to send the surface owner a copy of the intent to drill and plat map with the KSONA-1 form? Yes, a copy of the submitted (not necessarily KCC-approved) intent to drill, Form KSONA-1, and plat map must be provided to the surface owner.
  6. Do I need to file a Form KSONA-1 when filing a corrected intent to drill? If the correction to the intent to drill is a change in the location of the well, then the Form KSONA-1 must be filed with the KCC, and the surface owner must be notified of the correction. Any change to the intent that does not alter the location of the well does not require another notification to the surface owner.

Well Inventory Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is the KCC well inventory, and what does it require of operators?

    The KCC well inventory is a complete list of all unplugged wells of any kind operated in Kansas, including but not limited to: oil; gas; injection; saltwater disposal; cathodic protection; and gas storage wells. Operators are responsible for providing the KCC with a complete list of the operator's wells, which will provide information for the KCC database.

  2. What is the purpose of the well inventory?

    The purpose of the well inventory is to populate the KCC database with well information that is complete, correct, and current. The well inventory will assist the KCC in regulating the Kansas oil and gas industry and providing effective service to both industry and the public. The KCC is authorized, and has a duty, to collect this data pursuant to K.S.A. 55-165.

  3. Which operators are required to file a well inventory?

    All operators must provide a complete inventory of their wells.

  4. What is the due date for submitting the well inventory?

    Each operator's well inventory must be submitted with the operator's license renewal. Due to the large amount of data involved, operator's well inventories will be submitted over the next three (3) years. See schedule below for details.

    Year Well Inventory Must be SubmittedMonth of Operator License Renewal (For June Renewals, by First Letter of Operator Name)
    2010 January, April, June (A through D), September, November
    2011 February, May, June (E through N), August, October
    2012 March, June (O through Z), July, December
  5. What form should I use?

    The well inventory form, named the OWI-1, is available at the KCC Conservation Division central office, all district offices, and on the web.

  6. How do I file a well inventory?

    Operators may file well inventories 1) through KOLAR, after becoming a certified USER or 2) by a typed paper filing, mailed to the Kansas Corporation Commission, Conservation Division, at 266 N. Main St., Ste. 220, Wichita, KS 67202-1513. Instructions on how to sign up for KOLAR are available on the web.

  7. Does the well inventory need to be approved before my license will be issued or renewed?

    The well inventory must be received with the license renewal, and KCC staff must acknowledge its receipt, before an operator's license will be issued or renewed. However, the verification and approval process will not delay license issuance/renewal. Licenses will be issued/renewed after KCC staff has received, and acknowledged receipt of, well inventories, and operators will be contacted later concerning any deficiencies in the well inventory.

  8. I am in good standing with the KCC. Why am I subject to this new requirement?

    All operators are subject to this requirement, regardless of standing with the KCC. The Commission wishes to verify and update all well information in the KCC database, to ensure the KCC is able to continue to effectively provide quality service to industry and the public.

  9. Can the failure to comply with the rules related to well inventory submission result in the assessment of a penalty?

    At this time, there is little chance the failure to submit a complete, correct, and timely well inventory would result in a monetary penalty. The major consequence of failing to submit a well inventory would be a potential delay in the issuance or renewal of an operator's license. It should be noted the intentional falsification of a well inventory could result in a monetary penalty pursuant to KCC regulations.

  10. I understand I must submit a well inventory when I apply for license issuance or renewal. What will be the well inventory process next year, and other years following the initial submission?

    In years following the initial submission of the well inventory form, the well inventory process will be somewhat more simplified. The KCC will provide an operator what the agency believes is their complete well inventory when the operator applies for license renewal. The operator must then certify the well inventory provided is correct and complete by returning the well inventory to the KCC. If any changes have occurred which make the well inventory incorrect or incomplete, the operator must submit an amended well inventory reflecting those changes.

  11. How do I obtain the information necessary to complete a well inventory?

    Several sources should be consulted, including but not limited to the: 1) operator's well records; 2) KCC library; 3) Kansas Geological Survey website; and 4) Kansas Geological Society website.

  12. Assuming I fail to file a well inventory with my license application, will this delay my license issuance or renewal?

    The delay in license issuance/renewal depends on how long an operator has been licensed. Licenses of new operators, which have been licensed for less than three years, will be held until the KCC receives a well inventory. Licenses of operators that have been licensed for three years or more will be delayed, and production may be affected.

  13. What if the KCC finds an error in the well inventory I submitted?

    If the KCC finds an error in an operator's well inventory, the operator will be required to make the necessary corrections and resubmit the well inventory. It will always be the operator's responsibility to obtain and provide correct and complete information.

  14. Is there an example of a completed form I can use as a guide?

    The KCC will provide an example of a completed form with instructions, which will be available at the KCC Conservation Division central office, all district offices, and on the web.

  15. What if I do not know the exact depth of a well?

    If you do not know the exact depth of a well, and are unable to obtain such information, please give an approximate depth for the well.

  16. What should I do if a well does not appear in either the Kansas Geological Society well information database or the KCC library?

    If a well does not appear in either of these databases, please provide all known information concerning the year the well was drilled and well depth, and if unknown, please estimate these numbers. The operator must survey or GPS the well and provide an exact location.

  17. Do I need to include well API numbers?

    API numbers must be included on the well inventory for wells drilled after 1966. It is the operator's responsibility to determine a well's API number. Several sources should be consulted, including but not limited to the: 1) KCC library; 2) Kansas Geological Survey website; and 3) Kansas Geological Society website. For wells drilled prior to 1967, if an API number has not been assigned, submit the inventory without an API number. The year the well was drilled is still required. The API number will be assigned or reconciled during the approval process, and the operator will be provided with an updated well inventory.

  18. How can I obtain the exact legal description for a well? Do I need to GPS all of the wells in the inventory? What should I do if they still do not match the data in the KCC database?

    To obtain the exact legal description for a well, consult the available resources at the KCC library and the Kansas Geological Survey. Operators must determine and provide the quarter where the well is located and determine the footage location from the outside section lines. In addition, operators may obtain the GPS location of the well, although this is not required at this time. LEO7, an application to convert legal land grid descriptions to geographic coordinates can be downloaded from the Kansas Geological Survey. If, after determining the location of the well, the data does not match that of the KCC database, the operator should file the well inventory with the most accurate data available. Reconciliation with the KCC data will occur through the approval process.

  19. Will my financial assurance increase after I submit a well inventory?

    An operator's financial assurance may potentially change, but only if the well inventory shows quantities or depths of wells operated that are different from the quantities or depths of wells previously contemplated when determining financial assurance.

  20. How and when will I know if my well inventory has been accepted by the KCC?

    After the KCC has received an operator's well inventory, KCC Staff will notify the operator within two (2) weeks of filing whether the well inventory has been "accepted". Well inventories will be accepted unless there are immediate errors apparent from a cursory glance at the submitted form. If the well inventory was filed in paper form, KCC Staff will notify the operator by mail. If the well inventory was filed through KOLAR, KCC Staff will notify the operator by email immediately after the well inventory is filed.

  21. How and when will I know if my well inventory has been approved by the KCC?

    "Approval" of a well inventory requires more time than the "acceptance" explained above. Due to the amount of data being received from operators, it is impossible to say how long the approval process will take at this time. However, license issuance or renewal would only be delayed if well inventory is not received or accepted by KCC Staff. A delay in the final approval of an operator's well inventory will not delay license issuance or renewal.

  22. How can I be certain a well's information is correct, if a previous operator transferred the well to me?

    If a well has been transferred to an operator by a previous operator, the well's information can be verified through research in the KCC library; the Kansas Geological Survey website; or the Kansas Geological Society website.

  23. Are new operators, who have been operating for fewer than three (3) years, required to submit a well inventory?

    All operators must file a well inventory, without exception.

    It is understood a new operator may have recently submitted a well inventory and financial assurance when applying for a license. This does not absolve an operator from the well inventory requirement, and a well inventory must again be submitted.

  24. What computer hardware or software is necessary for submission of a well inventory?

    Operators can use either a PC or Macintosh to prepare the well inventory, through use of a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. Online capabilities are required to file a well inventory through KOLAR or email. More information on KOLAR requirements can be found at

  25. My computer is a Wang, with Lotus software. Can KOLAR convert the file format, to allow use of this equipment?

    At this time, electronic filing through KOLAR is only possible through the use of an Excel file. KOLAR cannot convert the file format of another type of file.

  26. How will I be informed about discrepancies in my submitted well inventory?

    If filing through KOLAR, each discrepancy will be highlighted, and an operator will not be able to submit the inventory until discrepancies highlighted in red are corrected. If filing on paper, a copy of the well inventory will be mailed to the address on your license, with the discrepancy highlighted.

  27. Which lease name and well number should I provide on the well inventory, if there is more than one lease name and well number for a well? What if I do not know the original lease name and well number?

    If the lease name or well number has changed from the original drilling, list the current lease name and well number with the prior lease name and well number following in parentheses (e.g. WICT LKC UT (Wagner) 1 (32)). Operators should provide lease name and well numbers that are associated with the API number when possible. If this is impossible, or if you do not know the original name of the well, verify the footage location is accurate and supply the new lease name and well number.

  28. In KOLAR, I am unable to submit my well inventory, because the program states my footage measurements are incorrect. I have verified the footages are correct. What should I do?

    Occasionally, KOLAR will report an error when footage measurements are entered. This is because the footages must be measured from the outside section lines, and not from a half section, quarter section, or lease boundary line. This problem can be resolved by entering footage measurements from the outside section lines and verifying the footages place the well in the correct quarter section.

  29. I did not timely renew my license this year, and now I must get a new license. Can I transfer the well inventory from my old license to the new license?

    Well inventories cannot be transferred. A complete well inventory must be filed with the application for a new operator's license. In addition, Operators receiving a new license number must transfer wells from the old license to the new license, by filing a well transfer form (T-1).

  30. Do I need to take any additional steps (with regard to the well inventory) if my company has changed its name but has kept the same license number?

    If a company has changed names, but has retained the same license number, the operator must inform the KCC about the name change. However, if only the name of the company and not the KCC license number has changed, the well inventory will continue to be linked to the operator, and no additional steps to transfer the well inventory are necessary.

  31. How should I enter the "Year Drilled" field for a recompleted well?

    For recompleted wells, provide the year the well was recompleted.

  32. How do I find county codes for API Numbers and their corresponding county name and abbreviations?

    A list of counties, codes and abbreviations can be found on the web.



Site Map    |    Accessibility    |    Contact Us    |    Subscribe