Kansas Energy Office

Kansas Energy Office

The Kansas Energy Office, a division of the Kansas Corporation Commission, administers programs and connects Kansans to objective information about conservation, efficiency, and alternative energy. Funding is provided by the federal State Energy Program.

Phone(785) 271-3352

Power Efficiency Project


Teachers - Students -
Businesses - Homeowners

Explore energy saving opportunities you can implement at home, school and in the workplace. The Power Efficiency Project helps create awareness that translates into efficient usage and costs savings. As Professor Max Powers would say – You have the power to make a difference!

ks building energy codes

Aging energy equipment and high utility costs?

FCIP provides a way for state, municipal, county, and educational facilities to replace obsolete and inefficient equipment using guaranteed utility savings to pay for the project.



How does FCIP work?

FCIP is based on energy performance contracting - a method of financing, designing and installing comprehensive energy efficiency improvements with little to no upfront capital. The costs of energy retrofits are paid for over time by future guaranteed savings from utility and maintenance budgets.

In brief, here’s how the program works: Contact the Kansas Energy Office at 785-271-3352. We’ll arrange for multiple Energy Service Companies (ESCOs) from the KCC’s list of pre-qualified companies to conduct a free walkthrough of your facility, known as a preliminary energy assessment (PEA). If the high-level results are promising, you select an ESCO from the pre-qualified list and contract with that ESCO for an in-depth energy assessment (called an Investment Grade Audit, or IGA) of your facilities and utility bills. At the end of the assessment, the ESCO will provide a report of potential energy improvements and the cost savings associated with those improvements. If you decide to proceed, you will enter into an Energy Performance Contract (EPC) with the ESCO for installation of energy improvements selected from the audit.

The key to energy performance contracting is developing a broad package of energy improvements that, taken together, reduce the use of electricity and gas enough to pay for the cost of the improvements (including financing costs) over time through savings on your utility bill.

Throughout the process, FCIP staff will attend select meetings you have with the ESCO, review all contracts and reports, and provide technical assistance and support on your behalf. In addition, FCIP must determine whether the proposed project will meet payback requirements imposed by State law as well as specific program requirements.

Who can participate?

Kansas Statutes Authorize Energy Performance Contracting for Political Subdivisions and State Agencies

KSA 75‐37,125 allows political subdivisions and state agencies to enter into a contract or lease‐purchase agreement for an energy conservation measure, which is defined as an energy study, audit, improvement or equipment designed to provide energy and operational cost savings at least equivalent to the amount expended for the study/audit/improvement/equipment over a period of not more than 30 years after the equipment or improvement is installed or becomes operational.

How can I learn more?

Contact the Kansas Energy Office at 785-271-3352 and check out the links below:

Guidance from other organizations:

Because Kansas is a home rule state, the responsibility for adoption and enforcement of building energy codes lies with local jurisdictions. The Energy Division conducted a survey of selected cities and counties in 2016. The results are summarized in the 2016 Kansas Building Codes Summary.

Although local jurisdictions maintain authority for codes adoption and enforcement, the State has adopted the 2006 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) as the applicable state standard for new commercial and industrial structures (see K.S.A. 66-1227). For new homes, the State requires homebuilders and realtors to disclose certain energy-efficiency information, using the Kansas Energy Efficiency Disclosure form (see KSA 66-1228).

Other Programs & Incentives 
Energy Topics 

Small Business Energy Program
small business energy program image

Attention small business owners
and agricultural producers!

Save Energy, Save Money!

If you live in a town with a population of less than 50 thousand, you may be eligible for:

  • NO COST energy audits
  • Renewable energy site assessments
  • Federal assistance programs
small business energy program image 2

Contact us today to find out how you can receive a written report of energy audit results, recommendations for cost effective energy efficiency improvements, and an estimate of energy savings for your small business or farm.

You may also be eligible for U.S. Department of Agriculture assistance through the Rural Energy for America Program (REAP). We'll even help you apply.

Learn more about: REAP Grants

Click here for REAP Grant FAQs.

Contact David Carter at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 785-532-4998.

Kansas Energy Office | Events
events image

There are currently no scheduled events.


Site Map    |    Accessibility    |    Contact Us    |    Subscribe