Utility & Weatherization Related Assistance Programs in Northeast Kansas

Utility Bill Assistance

  • Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) is a federal program administered by the Kansas Department for Children and Families, which helps eligible Kansans pay a portion of their home's utility costs by providing a one-time per year benefit; benefit levels may vary. See their website (http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Energy/EnergyAssistance.aspx) for additional information or call 1-800-432-0043.
  • United Way 2-1-1 helps Kansans locate utility assistance programs. Call "211" toll-free to see what assistance programs are available in your area.
  • The Salvation Army administers utility assistance programs throughout the state, including the following programs in Kansas:
    • Gift of Warmth: operated by the Salvation Army Kansas & Western Missouri in 81 counties served by Kansas Gas Service to Kansans with a gross family income at or below 200% of the poverty level guideline. Call the toll-free hotline: 1-877-566-2769, ext. 402.
    • Share the Warmth: operated by the Salvation Army Kansas & Western Missouri in 33 counties served by Atmos Energy to Atmos customers with a gross family income at or below 200% of the poverty level guideline. Call the toll-free hotline: 1-877-566-2769, ext. 402.
    • HeatShare: operated by the Salvation Army Kansas & Western Missouri in Kansas counties served by Black Hills Energy, as well as Butler Rural Electric and the City of Altamont, which provides financial assistance, counseling, and referrals to other utility funding sources. Call 1-800-336-4547 for more information.
  • Project DESERVE is a program administered by The Center of Hope in partnership with Westar Energy that provides emergency financial assistance to pay Westar Energy bills to those over age 65 or those who are receiving disability income or who meet the Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) guidelines of 30% of the Federal Adjusted Income Limits.
    • Up to $300 (one-time payment annually) for households with children or adults with severe disability (meeting Social Security disability criteria) and older (over 60) adults; and
    • Up to $100 (one-time payment annually) for income-eligible individuals. If you think you might be eligible for Project DESERVE assistance, please contact Center of Hope at (316) 219-2121 or call Westar Energy at (800) 383-1183.
  • Kansas Gas Service has a website page that enables users to search (by City) for assistance agencies that "may have limited or no funds available" (http://www.kansasgasservice.com/CustomerCare/AssistanceAgencies.aspx).
  • Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas operates an Emergency Assistance Program in 21 northeast Kansas counties, which includes utility assistance.
    • Emporia (620-343-2296)
    • Kansas City, KS (913-621-1504)
    • Lawrence (785-843-0109)
    • Leavenworth (913-651-8060)
    • Overland Park (913-433-2100)
    • Topeka (785-233-6300)
  • Army Emergency Relief Fund (Fort Leavenworth) provides financial assistance to military, family members, and orphans in times of valid emergency needs, including assistance for utilities. Aid is provided through interest-free loans, grants, or a combination of the two.
  • Army Emergency Relief Fund (Fort Riley): Call 785-239-9450
  • Johnson County Human Services has a Utility Assistance Program that provides one-time annual payments for income eligible. Funding is provided by KCPL Dollar-Aid funds, County and City matching funds, Johnson County Wastewater, and local community (private donations). Contact 913-715-8800 or visit the website (http://www.jocogov.org/sites/default/files/documents/HSA/Utility Assistance Program.pdf).

Weatherization Assistance

  • Kansas Weatherization Assistance Program is a federal program, administered by the Kansas Housing Resources Corporation, which provides weatherization services to income-eligible Kansas. These services may involve installation of air-sealing and thermal envelope measures, such as caulking around windows and doors, adding insulation to attics, walls, ceilings, foundations, and cleaning, testing, and repairs to refrigerators and heating and cooling equipment. Call 785-264-4814 or visit their website (https://kshousingcorp.org/renters/weatherization-assistance/).
  • The City of Lawrence offers several grant and loan programs for low- and moderate-income residents (http://lawrenceks.org/pds/housing_programs):
    • Comprehensive Housing Rehabilitation loans (deferred and installment) for necessary rehabilitation (not remodeling) improvements. For additional information, call 785-832-3113.
    • Weatherization Grants is an annual program that provides grants for attic insulation, storm windows, and weather-stripping of entry doors. Check website for application deadlines (http://lawrenceks.org/pds/housing_programs).
  • The City of Topeka offers an Emergency Repair Program to help low-income homeowners address immediate health or safety problems, such as furnace replacement, sewer line collapse, water heater replacement; contact Neighborhood Relations at 785-368-3711 for more information.

Other Assistance Programs


Site Map    |    Accessibility    |    Contact Us